Featured IQ Installer: Brad Fort of New Leaf Electric
- Installer Name: Brad Fort
- Company Name: New Leaf Electric
- City/State/Country: San Diego, CA USA
We love talking to our Elite IQ Installers and asking them questions about their pioneering work in the renewable energy industry.
This month, we chat with Brad Fort of New Leaf Electric, our featured Elite IQ Installer for March 2021! The southern CA installer shares his most common installation needs, customer feedback, and why there are no ‘cookie cutter’ solutions.
1. How long have you been in business and what type of installations do you typically do?
New Leaf Electric has been serving the Alternative Energy Community for 6 years. We are an electrical contractor who serves both Residential and Commercial customers in Solar Installation and Service, Energy Storage, Microgrids and EV Charging,
2. What are some of the most common installation needs for your customers that require energy storage?
While I find every energy storage customer to be unique, they generally fall into one of three categories. They either want to backup a few essential loads, backup their whole house or are completely off-grid.
3. What is your favorite project involving SimpliPhi Batteries?
My favorite SimpliPhi project with SimpliPhi batteries was an off-grid project in Ramona, CA, where we upgraded the customer from Lead Acid batteries. We replaced an old 48kWh bank with (8) new SimpliPhi 3.8kWh batteries. We also added a second Schneider XW Inverter, upgraded to new Schneider charge controllers and added another 2kW to their PV System and incorporated a Kohler generator.
4. Share some interesting feedback you have gotten from customers regarding energy storage installations?
We have had multiple customers lose their utility power very shortly after our installations, usually due to high winds in high-risk fire zones. Their excitement of having power while most of their neighbors do not is amazing. I also love to hear from our customers who have upgraded to LFP batteries from old systems that required routine maintenance.
5. What are some tips and tricks you have for other SimpliPhi Elite IQ installers?
Do the due diligence on the front end to ensure your system will meet all of your customer’s needs. When you get into whole home backup or completely off-grid, there is no cookie cutter solution.