Enviva was founded in 2004 with a clear purpose in mind: We wanted to develop a cleaner energy alternative to fossil fuels. In particular, we wanted to offer electric utilities a fuel to replace coal, enabling them to generate power without interruption while reducing their greenhouse gas emissions. More than a decade later, Enviva has become the world’s largest producer of wood pellets – a small and seemingly ordinary product that is addressing these big challenges and delivering real results. Enviva owns and operates seven plants strategically located in the southeastern United States that produce over 3 million metric tons of wood pellets annually. We export our pellets primarily to power plants in the United Kingdom and Europe that previously were fueled by coal, enabling them to reduce their lifetime carbon footprint by about 80.
- Business Type:
- Industry Type:
- Market Focus:
- Internationally (various countries)
- Year Founded:
This company also provides solutions for other industrial applications.
Please, visit the following links for more info:
We make our pellets using sustainable practices that protect Southern forests. And we employ about 700 people and support many other businesses in the rural South, where jobs and economic opportunity are sometimes scarce.
At Enviva, our job is more than making pellets. We work for lower emissions, healthy forests and strong communities.
Enviva conducts its activities primarily through two entities: Enviva Partners, LP, a publicly-traded master limited partnership (NYSE: EVA), and Enviva Development Holdings, LLC, a wholly-owned private company.
Enviva Partners, LP
Enviva Partners, LP (NYSE: EVA) is a publicly traded master limited partnership that aggregates a natural resource, wood fiber, and processes it into a transportable form, wood pellets. The Partnership sells a significant majority of its wood pellets through long-term, take-or-pay agreements with creditworthy customers in the United Kingdom and Europe. The Partnership owns and operates 6 plants with a combined production capacity of nearly 3 million metric tons of wood pellets per year in Virginia, North Carolina, Mississippi, and Florida. In addition, the Partnership exports wood pellets through its owned marine terminal assets at the Port of Chesapeake, Virginia, and Port of Wilmington, North Carolina and from third-party marine terminals in Mobile, Alabama and Panama City, Florida.
Enviva Development Holdings, LLC
Enviva Development Holdings, LLC develops and builds wood pellet production plants and export terminals. It has a pipeline of projects under development to support incremental projected demand for wood pellets.
Through a joint venture with the Hancock Natural Resource Group and other affiliates of the John Hancock Life Insurance Company, Enviva Development Holdings is completing the detailed design work for the permitted plant site in Hamlet, NC. Through a second joint venture with Hancock Natural Resource Group and other affiliates of the John Hancock Life Insurance Company, Enviva Development Holdings acquired an industrial wood pellet production plant in Greenwood, South Carolina.
Live with Integrity
- Be honest and candid; do what we say, say what we do. Our word is our bond.
- Respect individuals, the environment and communities.
- Train, coach, and mentor our people to achieve their potential.
- Never compromise on safety: Safe environments are the foundation of personal and professional goals.
Hear the Customer
- Produce quality products that exceed customer expectations.
- Reliably deliver on time to maintain customer confidence.
Continuously strive to eliminate waste and improve efficiency to provide a superior customer experience across the enterprise-wide value chain.
Set and Achieve High Standards
- Meet our stakeholders’ expectations consistently and then exceed them.
- Measure performance, establish facts, and eliminate root cause issues to achieve peak performance.
- Grow from our setbacks; learn from the mistakes and successes of others.
Focus on Value Creation
- Create long term economic value that is sustainable for Enviva, our partners and the environment.
- Pursuit of continuous improvement through “Lean Thinking” to achieve superior results.
- Maximize outcomes: be humble enough to learn and confident enough to teach.
Act Sustainably in the Decisions We Make
- Work to eliminate the perceived trade-offs between cost and the environment.
- Strive for environmental leadership, not only compliance.
- Lead from the front; individual actions can have profound impact.
By connecting biomass sources to energy consumers, Enviva will reliably provide customers throughout the world with biomass fuels to improve the environmental profile of energy generation.
We will increase adoption of Enviva biomass: We will use our core competencies of procurement, engineering, processing, logistics, and finance to help energy customers bridge the historical reliability of fossil fuels to realize the full potential of renewables and help biomass resource providers secure long-term access to stable energy markets.
We will improve the environment: We strive to improve the environmental conditions in the communities in which we operate and for those where each of our products is ultimately consumed.
We will invest in people: We hire talented and passionate individuals and provide not just careers, but also purpose for our work.
We will make decisions for this and the next generations: We make safety and sustainability non-negotiable.