LumaSense E²T - Model Quasar 2 M8100-EXP - Flare Monitor
Safe flare operation and environmental protection require reliable and accurate flare pilot monitoring. Generally, flare pilots are monitored with thermocouples that often fail due to thermal shock caused by extreme heat and vibrations during flaring events. The requirement for pilot monitoring beyond the normal life of pilot thermocouples has driven the market need for alternative methods, which requires installation of a redundant method of pilot monitoring to back up the standard pilot thermocouples.
- Flame detection up to 400 m
- Detection of hydrocarbon and hydrogen flames
- Safety and environmental protection
- On-board Pilot Loss alarm set point relay
- Pilot and Flaring signal level mA output
- Modular opto-electronic package for easy access and service
The E2T Quasar 2 instruments provide continuous monitoring and detection of pilot flame and flared gases from flares. Two models are available: Quasar 2 M8100-EXP and Quasar 2 M8100-EXP Advanced. The base system provides basic flare pilot monitoring capabilities. The advanced system includes an intensity mA output, which allows the programming of multiple setpoints to indicate pilot flame detection and flaring status signals from the same unit.
The setpoint feature of the advanced unit can also be used for staged flares and will provide feedback on the staged flare status. Additional add-on features are available for a configurable product to meet a wide range of client flare types, monitoring requirements and budget.
A high-resolution optical system and selection of various spot sizes enables the Quasar 2 to be positioned as far as 1/4 mile (400 m) from the stack being monitored. Alignment on the target is accomplished through the targeting port and signal intensity LED bar displays amplitude in combination with a stable M-4 heavy duty swivel mount.
Custom electronics adapt to target movement, varying luminosity, and most climate conditions. The alarm delay circuit can be adjusted for a specific location or application, eliminating false alarms from temporary loss of signal due to intermittent flames, adverse weather, and wind.
High Quality Optics
5 different optics are available to ensure the highest flame signal detection.
Heavy Duty Accessories
For easy mounting, alignment and focusing on the target, a heavy duty swivel mount with locking and adjusting capability is required. The optional M-4 Heavy Duty Swivel Mount offers a secure and stable mounting when combined with the M-8 pedestal mount, a steel pipe assembly with a bolt down plate to secure the M-8 to a foundation. All mounting hardware is sold separately.
Easy Maintenance or Replacement
The heart of the system is the Quasar 2-EXP, non-contact infrared electro-optical package which can be removed from the explosion proof housing for repairs or replacement, leaving intact all wiring and alignment of the system.
- Elevated Flares
- Steam Assisted
- Air Assisted
- Gas Assisted
- Staged Flares
- Ground Flares
- Burn Pit Flares
- Multi point/Staged Multi point flares
- Off-Shore Flares
- Working Distance: 0 to 1320 feet (400 m)
- Flame Type: Infrared monitor sensitive to all flame including Hydrogen
- Field of View: Available in 37.5:1, 60:1, 75:1, 150:1 & 300:1
- Targeting port for target alignment
- Output Signal:
- Quasar 2 M8100-EXP : 4 or 20 mA switched output (4 mA = flame and 20 mA = no flame)
- Quasar 2 M8100-EXP Advanced : Additional 4-20 mA
- Alarm Setpoint: Mechanical relay (QUASAR 2 Advanced only)
- Response Time: 10 ms
- Alarm Output Delay: 2 s to 2 min (Std)
- Sensitivity Adjustment: Automatic climate compensation and manual gain for easy system setup
- Safety Integrity Level (SIL) Level 1
- Power requirements:
- Quasar 2 M8100-EXP : 2 Watts 24VDC Only
- Quasar 2 M8100-EXP Advanced : 24 VDC and 115 VAC / 230 VAC
- Dimensions: 4.7 x 12.8 x 4.7 in (12 x 33 x 12 cm)
- Weight: 26.5 lbs (12 kg)
- Status Lights: Green (Flame) and red (No Flame)
- Intensity Indicator: 20 LEDs bar
- Mounting: M-4 heavy duty 360° swivel mount (Optional)
- Housing: Stainless steel (316L), tube diameter 114mm, IP 66
- Ambient Temperature Limits: -40 to 140 °F (-40 to 60 °C) with no cooling
- Environmental Protection: NEMA 4X IP66
- Hazardous Classification:
- IECEx Ex db IIB T4
- ATEX II 2 G Ex db IIB T4
- Canada & US certified explosion-proof housing
- Class I, Div 1, Groups C and D
- Class I, Div 2, Groups A, B, C and D