Dams and Hydropowe Services
Our expertise incorporates dams and hydropower and covers the entire life-cycle from feasibility studies, costing, detail design and specifications, contract documentation / administration and supervision to project management.
Services Offered Include:
Project management, project optimization, transient analysis, waterways designs, including intakes, screens, gates and stoplogs, penstock and steel liner designs, site supervision and manufacturing quality control
Hydrology, materials investigations, hydraulics, structural designs, seismic investigations, hydro-mechanical, electrical, dam safety investigations, dam type selection studies, dam break analyses, instrumentation, site supervision and environmental study
Some sterling projects include:
- The 1,332MW Ingula Pumped Storage Scheme on the border of KwaZulu-Natal and the Free State (in JV with Arcus Gibb (Pty) Ltd and Knight Piesold (Pty) Ltd.
- Shongweni Dam, which won the SAICE Award for Technical Excellence in 2003.
- Jozini Hydro-Electric Project in KwaZulu-Natal.
- Lucilla Poort Dam in Zimbabwe.
- Mohale Dam in Lesotho, which won the Fulton Award for Technical Excellence in 2005.
Our engineers in South Africa and Zimbabwe are certified Approved Professional Engineers for dam safety inspections and rehabilitation. Safety inspections have been undertaken for more than 25 impoundments - several classified as High Hazard Category III dams.