Our energy team know the importance of the rapidly changing and increasingly international energy sector and we have over twenty lawyers dedicated to this area, servicing both utilities and their customers. Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession ranked us in the top category of law firms for energy - describing us as having an 'impressive range of expertise'. We advise on a wide range of contractual and regulatory issues as well as providing consultancy services. Where necessary, we bring into our team other specialists within the firm in order to offer a legal service which is precisely tailored to our clients' needs. Increasingly, the UK energy sector is affected by regulation from Brussels, and in response to the trend towards harmonisation of EU law and policy and growing convergence of European energy markets, we opened an office in Brussels in 2011.
This presence at the centre of EU decision making enables to offer in-depth advice and “on the ground” support to our UK and overseas energy clients on EU law and policy.
Areas covered include:
- Biofuels where we have designed tax efficient funding structures for capital projects involving processing facilities to meet the growing market for bioethanol and biodiesel
- Carbon trading and in particular the operation of the EU Emissions Trading Scheme and the UK’s own CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme
- Climate change adaptation law and policy where we have advised on the impacts of EU and UK law driving greater awareness and management of climate change impacts
- Community energy and local energy solutions where we have experience across the range of relevant financial, legal and regulatory issues
- Dispute resolution in the energy sector where we have acted for utilities and major engineering companies in a variety of disputes, including one of the first arbitrations under the auspices of the Electricity Arbitration Association
- Electricity and gas where we have advised on the development of gas and electricity infrastructure, regulatory matters, the operation of competitive markets and the contractual arrangements underlying the liberalised energy sectors and the tax efficient funding of generation plant such as CHP
- Energy efficiency law and policy, including the Green Deal and ECO schemes, the CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme, Climate Change Levy and Climate Change Agreements, low and zero carbon building requirements, Enhanced Capital Allowances and smart metering
- International energy where we can bring our experience of the UK utilities sector to bear in overseas projects and where our membership of the Association of European Energy Consultants (and also global associations Multilaw and US based State Law Resources), enables us to facilitate the provision of local legal advice in a variety of jurisdictions
- Nuclear where we can capitalise on our understanding of the legislative framework underpinning nuclear generation
- Planning and environment and health and safety where we have long-standing experience of advising on these issues in the context of onshore and offshore energy projects in the UK and internationally
- Renewable energy projects where we have worked for developers, landowners and funders on onshore and offshore wind farm projects, biomass projects, a tidal energy project and a wide range of ground based and roof mounted solar PV schemes, including advising on the UK support mechanisms including ROCs and FITs and the proposed Feed in Tariff CfDs under the Electricity Market Review programme, as well as the Renewable Heat Incentive
- Water and sewerage where we have particular expertise as legal adviser to statutory undertakers and one of the industry regulators.