From Renewable Energy
Producing power from ocean currents, tides, waves, and thermal resources offers great potential to meet the growing global demand for renewable energy. Because many of these ocean technologies are relatively new, regulatory requirements are often difficult to anticipate, leaving developers with a complex challenge: how to make informed business decisions for projects that require a significant initial investment in an uncertain regulatory environment.
E & E entered into ocean energy consulting very early. We have participated in the industry’s growth and have established relationships with key regulatory agencies. It is a complex industry both in terms of environmental assessment and regulatory oversight, with unique permitting issues such as marine life disturbances and navigational threats. We track ocean energy industry trends and have a comprehensive understanding of the concerns of both energy developers and regulators.
We work with clients to develop tailored permitting strategies and have the experience and resources necessary to provide our clients with all phases of ocean energy project development from fatal flaw analysis and planning to permitting, public outreach, construction oversight, and long-term monitoring and compliance.
- ESA Consultation (NMFS and USFWS)
- Marine Mammal Protection Act Compliance
- Avian & Bat Surveys
- Impingement & Entrainment Studies
- Marine Benthic and Fishery Surveys
- EMF Effects Analysis
- NEPA Analysis
- Third-Party EISs
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Local, State, and Federal Permitting Siting & Feasibility Studies
- Regulatory Consultations & Strategy Development
- BOEMRE Alternative Energy Applications
- FERC Hydrokinetic Project Applications
- Sediment Transport Modeling
- Thermal Plume Modeling
- Air Quality Analysis
- Water Quality Modeling
- Coastal Zone Consistency Evaluations
- Risk & Safety Studies
- Marine Transportation Hazards Assessments