gFuelCell - High-Fidelity Predictive Modelling of Fuel Cell, Stack and System
PSE provides industry-leading multi-scale predictive models of fuel cell stack and system components to the automotive and power industries. These are validated against experimental data then applied within a dynamic simulation and optimisation framework to explore the multi-dimensional decision space and address key design issues rapidly and effectively.
Challenges facing developers of different cell type include:
- How to interpret experimental data using a physically-realistic framework (typically from single-cell data)
- Estimation of key model parameters from experimental data
- Accurate prediction of current density distribution over the stack
- Water management (PEMFC)
- Optimal integration of the cell with fuel processing and other systems
- Operational issues such as temperature dynamics on change in power demand, optimisation of start-up, etc.
- Control system design
- Optimisation of stack size vs nominal and maximum power output
- Deactivation and stack longevity
- Optimisation of platinum load.
gFuelCell uses high-fidelity AML:FC models within the powerful gPROMS modelling and optimisation framework to provide unprecedented high-fidelity modelling of cell, stack and system.
It provides a means simultaneously to analyse detailed micro-scale effects – AND optimise cell design and operation within the context of the whole fuel cell system.
This makes it possible to address all of these challenges, and many more.
gFuelCell is used within leading automotive, residential and industrial fuel cell design and development companies to:
- Solve key design problems
- Reduce time-to-market
- Manage technology risk
- Optimise design & operation
- Minimise unit cost
- Increase cell life
- Integrate R&D experimentation and engineering.
The gFuelCell product
gFuelCell is implemented within PSE's powerful gPROMS steady-state and dynamic modelling and solution environment. It includes:
- The gPROMS graphical process flowsheeting and solution environment
- The PSE Advanced Model Library for Fuel Cells (AML:FC), for PEMFC or SOFC
- AML:FC gPROMS-FLUENT interface for rapid and robust whole-stack modelling
- Upgrade from gPROMS Flowsheeting to gPROMS ModelBuilder in order to use the full power of gPROMSs custom modelling capabilities.