TURBNPRO - Version KC4 - Hydroelectric Project Developers Software
The essential software tool for: hydroelectric project developers, consulting engineers performing feasibility studies and preliminary project designs, water power systems educators. TURBNPRO is the only software of its kind created to develop information on hydraulic turbines, their selection and application under specific site conditions.
For a hydroelectric power project application, quickly estimate how large and what type of hydroturbine would best apply
TURBNPRO determines hydroturbine sizing and type selection based on actual site data entered by the User. Typical performance and dimensional data of the hydroturbine size/type selected are developed by the program including speed, runaway speed and cavitation characteristics. TURBNPRO includes extensive graphics showing turbine performance tin various formats as well as identification of major turbine components and dimensions.
For hydro-project feasibility studies, assess the project's annual energy production potential
TURBNPRO may be used to calculate the energy production, applying the turbine solution(s) created and the User’s site net head and flow data. In optimizing project energy potential study single or multiple turbine solutions.
Quickly consider alternative solution possibilities
Advantages, disadvantages and limitations of the various water turbine configurations/arrangements are discussed. The impact of cavitation on hydroturbine sizing and type selection is also covered.
If you are involved in hydroelectric projects and water power studies, we believe you will find TURBNPRO an important addition to your library of hydro turbine information resources and valuable as a time savings aid in your decisions on turbine equipment type and size selection. If you are including hydroelectric power, waterpower, hydroturbines or turbomachinery in your university curricula of energy and hydraulic technologies, you will find TURBNPRO valuable as both reference and presentation material.
During a hydroelectric project's feasibility study and preliminary engineering phases, the optimum selection of the hydraulic turbine size, type and quantity is frequently a difficult exercise.
By using TURBNPRO to compare the dimensional impact on powerhouse design and the energy production of various turbine solutions, the User has a quick means to closely select the optimum turbine type, number and arrangement for a hydro-electric project.
TURBNPRO is also an excellent tool to acquaint and train those unfamiliar with hydro generation equipment in the applications and limitations of the various types of hydraulic turbines.
When you enter your turbine sizing criteria including:
- Unit Discharge
- Rated Net Head, Gross Head and Net Head Range
- Desired turbine centerline setting to Tailwater
- System frequency (50 Hz or 60 Hz)
- Efficiency Priority
- Site Elevation and Water Temperature
- Determine unit sizes and speeds that satisfy the criteria entered
- Allow you to select the turbine arrangement and orientation (or let TURBNPRO select a default arrangement)
- Show typical dimensional and performance data on your selection
- Display performance in Hill Curve, crossplot or tabular formats
- Display graphical views of the turbine selection
- Present a briefing advising the advantages and disadvantages of the various arrangement types
All major arrangements are considered by the TURBNPRO software including:
- To aid you in your optimization of the turbine type and quantity, enter your site's flow duration and net head characteristics as well as the variations in headwater and tailwater elevations and TURBNPRO will calculate the annual energy production of the turbine solution(s) developed.
- Easy to follow sequence of data entry and developing the turbine solution. User data entry is in SI units (meters, m³/s, etc.).
- Turbine arrangement and orientation may be User selected or determined by the TURBNPRO default feature.
- Option allows User to enter efficiency modifiers to further customize the turbine solution performance.
- The developed solution may be saved to a disk file.
- Performance data shown in hill curve, crossplot curve & tabular formats.
- Major turbine dimensional characteristics shown in easy to view screens with graphic definitions of dimensions. Data results shown in SI units (meters, m³/s, etc.).
- Generic graphical views of the turbine solution with dimensions shown superimposed on the graphic .
- For Francis & Axial/propeller turbines cavitation characteristics and limitations due to cavitation are integral to TURBNPRO’s development of the turbine solution and its performance.
- Create printed reports of the turbine performance, dimensional characteristics, curves, etc. Printed outputs include results in both SI (metric) and US Customary units.
PLUS CAD Drawings:
- Over 55 drawings in the standard '.DXF' format. Drawings include turbine waterpassage, distributor cross-section and arrangement views. '.DXF' file format is supported by most popular CAD programs. Save time in drafting your preliminary project and powerhouse designs with this library of turbine drawings.
- Determine optimum energy production using actual or hypothetical site flow and head data.
- Concurrent operation of up to 10 units of 2 different turbine solutions may be studied in the energy calculations.
- Turbine performance characteristics and annual energy results may be exported to User's spreadsheet software for use in other programming.
- Graphical presentation of the various arrangement types available including their applications, advantages and disadvantages.
- User Manual/Reference Guide of 160+ pages, including extensive graphics.
- Data included in TURBNPRO is typical and generic in nature and is based upon experience with actual turbine designs.
- NEW Review turbine solution performance characteristics when operating with variable speed thereby maintaining high efficiencies over wide head ranges.
- NEW Result reports are improved in format for User's printer.
- NEW Performance curve graphics are presented in expandable window displays for improved viewing.
- NEW Operation on both 32-bit operating systems and the new Windows 64-bit operating systems including XP and Windows 7.