Introduction to Solar PV Design & Installation
From In Person Courses
PV 201 Introduction to PV Design & Installation is simply the best intermediate solar training course on the market delivering a unique educational experience that provides real world knowledge, experience, and understanding of solar photovoltaic and solar power systems. We train for the most important aspect of the solar business – to help you earn a living by gaining on the job training and solar installation experience. Our graduates develop real world practical skills required for work in solar contracting, solar panel installation, and photovoltaic (PV) engineering while earning their USSI PV 201 Certificate leading to a US Solar Institute Department of Education licensed diploma. Upon completion of the PV-201 class, students are eligible to take PV301 or PV302.
What truly sets US Solar Institute’s classes apart from the others is the amount of hands on experience students are exposed to. By the second day of class, students are actually installing panel racking systems, installing solar panels to the racking systems and connecting the array grounding. By day three they are being taught proper wiring methods from panel to inverter, wiring an installation of the balance of system components, and on day four, learning how to wire an off grid system including a battery bank and solar panels.
These are live systems that students will actually take to our outdoor lab and produce electricity from the sun! The classes are fun, interactive, and informative to arm you with the tools to work on real solar installations. US Solar Institute’s training is one of a kind and will prepare you to work in the solar industry. No other school offers more hands on training than us—we guarantee it!
US Solar Institute is the first choice for many Fortune 500 corporations, electrical contracting, electricians, solar contractors and state of the art solar manufacturing corporations for all of their solar education and solar training needs. Those who want proven professional fast track educational results contract the US Solar Institute to train their students, employees, maintenance personnel, installers, manufacturing specialists, engineers, sales and service professionals because US Solar Institute knows what it takes to succeed in the solar industry.
Students will learn hands-on techniques used for proper solar installation and the dynamic conversion of sunlight to electric power while developing the knowledge and skill set in the following topics:
- Developing photovoltaic energy and power markets
- Permitting & contracting
- OSHA safety standards
- Inverter sizing, selection, installation and operation
- Electrical calculations and terms
- Solar site inspection fundamentals
- Photovoltaic (PV) specifications
- Solar array design, solar panel selection and installation
- Solar system grounding
- Solar system financial calculations and solar economics
- Solar balance of system components (BOS)
- NEC Article 690 Photovoltaic Systems
- NEC Article 100 Electrical Definitions
- NEC Article 110 Requirements for Electrical Installations
- Wire selection for solar energy systems
- Battery safety, selection, installation, operation and maintenance
- Mechanical design, integration and engineering
- Electrical layout, design and engineering
- Students will design, engineer, and install both working Grid Tied Photovoltaic systems and Off Grid Photovoltaic systems during class!
Note: This is a 40 hour course that runs from Monday – Friday from 8am to 5pm. It is intended to be the most intensive, hands-on, solar training diploma program in the country. This class exceeds any existing course or national standard for entry level knowledge of Photovoltaic systems. *All lab materials and safety gear are included in the cost of the course.*
There is a required textbook for this class titled “Photovoltaic Design & Installation Manual.”