Building the Alliance
SolarAid has made a Clinton Global Initiative commitment to building the alliance to eradicate the kerosene lamp from Africa by 2020. We’re already driving several initiatives to unite the off-grid lighting sector and our goal is to encourage multiple organisations to enter the market.
SolarAid’s role in sector-wide initiatives include:
- Co-chairing the Global Off-Grid Lighting Association’s (GOGLA) Policy Working Group.
- Working closely with the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Enlighten Initiative to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Regional Efficient Lighting Policy-making process
- Playing an active role in Renewable Energy Associations in Kenya and Tanzania lobbying for reduced VAT/tariffs on solar lights
- Securing funding for an advocacy programme in Malawi which seeks to reactivate the Renewable Energy Association there
- Helping GOGLA launch a global study on Investing in Off-Grid Lighting
Our lights also help build trust and awareness in solar energy which supports larger solar systems in off-grid rural areas - helping to drive and support the wider industry.