FOMA (Facility Operations and Maintenance Analysis)
With an FME FOMA, you’ll find the “low-hanging fruit” for immediate savings. You’ll get options, including actions you can take on your own, with little or no cost for implementation. Your assessment will include:
- Understanding of your HVAC usage and the potential for economizer efficiency and other system improvements, such as zones and dampers.
- Assessment of your building envelope, especially as it relates to energy consumption during seasonal heating-and-cooling changeovers. You’ll know your R-values and extent of infiltration around windows and doors.
- Evaluation of your electricity consumption for lighting and the relative advantages of sensor controls.
FOMA follows a systematic process to arrive at a reasoned course of action.
- We begin by getting to know your building. We review original drawings and systems information. If we need additional information for a complete picture, we will request if from you. (If you prefer, we can perform this additional investigation for a fee.)
- Once the building’s background is complete, we survey occupants on its environmental conditions.
- Next, we interview operations and maintenance personnel to know how they run the systems and what preventive maintenance they perform.
- Finally, we conduct a walk-through of the building.
- We put data loggers in place for 7 to 10 days, measuring heat, humidity, light, CO2, and other performance-related variables.
- We evaluate power consumption in every room, e.g., space heaters, fans, coffee pots, to determine the plug load.
- We create a computerized model of the building to predict energy use within 5 percent. This prediction becomes our baseline for performance improvement — and a yardstick for our guarantee.
For flexibility in how you use your assessment, you have three options:
- Predicted Savings (no model). We can provide a list of energy-control measures, their cost, and likely savings from each.
- Guaranteed Savings (modeled). We guarantee to save you at least the cost of the assessment over three years, or we’ll refund your money.
- Shared savings (modeled). Our fee is based on your savings over three years: 50 percent in year one; 25 percent in year two; 10 percent in year three.
To verify the actual performance of your building, we place meters on site for a year. We explain the formulas for calculating degree days, as well as adjustments related to changes in your operations (e.g., longer or shorter hours). You get an apples-to-apples comparison using accurate, verifiable performance data.