ADEME - French Environment and Energy Management Agency
Industrial and commercial public undertaking, under the joint supervision of France’s Ministers of Environment, Energy and Research. Mission: encouraging, supervising, coordinating, facilitating and undertaking operations with the aim of protecting the environment and managing energy. Priority areas: energy, air, noise, transport, waste, polluted soil and sites, and environmental management.
Find locations served, office locations
- Business Type:
- Research institute
- Industry Type:
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
- Over 1000
This company also provides solutions for other industrial applications.
Please, visit the following links for more info:
A broad skills base and a network of partners
ADEME relies on three main areas of expertise to to achieve its missions :
- Science and technology : to seek out environmentally friendly solutions.
- Expertise and advice : to guide decision-makers in their projects and choices.
- Results and experience in the field: pooled in the agency’s own Resource Centre to promote the circulation of best practices.
What’s more, ADEME has fostered countless partnerships to support its initiatives with :
- major corporations,
- local and regional authorities and NGOs
- counterpart organizations outside of France
A multi-faceted action plan
With a skills base in multiple fields, the agency is able to get involved in various ways :
Orienting, managing and financing research programmes :
ADEME manages, finances and develops research and technological innovation in the fields of energy and the environment. The agency is also contributing to the establishment of a European research centre dedicated to these fields.
Advice and expertise :
ADEME offers companies, public authorities and individuals its technical skills, helpful advice and financial assistance in order to help them choose the solutions best suited to their needs.
Developing practical tools and disseminating best practices :
ADEME develops practical tools and promotes the model initiatives it has financed, in addition to the studies, research projects and fieldwork it has developed, in order to help spread the most effective practices and best technologies.
Financing decision-support assistance, exemplary operations and projects :
By offering grants and comprehensive project guidance, ADEME provides valuable support for implementing projects and installations that seek to manage energy consumption more effectively and conserve our environment.
Training, information, communications and awareness-raising initiatives :
ADEME is eternally committed to guiding companies, public authorities, NGOs and the general public in changing their behaviour by sharing information, raising awareness, providing training and conducting communication campaigns.
ADEME adapts all of its initiatives to the target concerned :
- Local and regional authorities.
ADEME adopts a local approach in deploying actions that benefit French authorities and companies.
To achieve this, the agency is supported by :
- A network of 26 regional branches and three representative offices in France’s overseas territories, which together employ over half of ADEME’s staff.
- A strong collective agreement policy: the agency has established solid partnerships with all of France’s 26 regions via framework agreements appended to government/region framework contracts. ADEME is also pursuing a collective agreement policy regarding the issue of waste management with an increasing number of départements.
ADEME plays a participatory role in drafting national and local policy and is contributing to territorial sustainable development.
A strong presence at the European and world levels
In an expansion of its missions, ADEME is now a key player in the area of sustainable development at the European and world levels. In close collaboration with its supervisory ministers and varied network of partners (ministries and public organizations, local authorities, companies, NGOS and so on), the agency is extending its expertise to emerging and developing countries in addition to industrialized nations.
The agency contributes to :
- Implementing European policy and developing the European research centre in the energy and environmental sectors.
- The En R Club, a European network of national energy agencies.
- Constructing a wider Europe (particularly with regard to Bulgaria, Romania and Turkey).
- Cooperative efforts in the Mediterranean region: ADEME has enjoyed long-term relationships with its counterparts in Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia and Lebanon, and is a member of the Mediterranean Association of National Energy Management Agencies.
- Cooperation with Southern nations (particularly those in French-speaking Africa and Asia) as part of the international framework agreements on sustainable development and the fight against climate change.
ADEME’s efforts are also geared toward the international promotion of French goods, services and know-how relating to sustainable development through :
- Support for the Eco-Business Export Plan (PEXE).
- The founding of the International ADEME Club, which now groups together approximately 70 companies.