Ballard Power Systems Inc.
Ballard Power Systems Inc. is a world leader in the development, manufacture, sale and servicing of clean energy hydrogen fuel cells. Our products and services are used today in various markets, from material handling to residential cogeneration, backup power and heavy duty applications. Headquartered in Burnaby, British Columbia, we are working to accelerate fuel cell product adoption, by delivering the Power to Change end-users` applications and customers` business results.
Ballard Power Systems, Inc. is a global leader in PEM (proton exchange membrane) fuel cell technology. We provide clean energy fuel cell products enabling optimized power systems for a range of applications. Ballard offers smarter solutions for a clean energy future. We are actively putting fuel cells to work in high-value commercial uses every day. In fact, Ballard has designed and shipped close to 150 MW of hydrogen fuel cell technology to date.
Current Business Focus
Ballard has a multi-market growth focus in fuel cell products. This drives greater revenue and margin potential, while lowering risk for all stakeholders. Fuel cell applications are expected to broaden in the mid-term, although our focus today remains sharply on commercial opportunities in backup power, distributed generation, material handling and bus applications
- Backup Power - Fuel cells provide a highly reliable and cost-competitive power source for backup power in wireless telecom networks worldwide.
- Distributed Generation – Fuel cells can take advantage of low-cost hydrogen streams from chemical and bio-gas production to generate power locally for onsite use or sale back to the grid.
- Material Handling - Fuel cell-powered material handling equipment improves productivity in high-throughput warehouses and distribution centers, creating a compelling return on investment.
- Bus - Fuel cell buses are clean vehicles, emitting no greenhouse gas or particulates matters and operate to the highest standards from the perspective of drivers, passengers and transit agencies.
Ballard Power Systems, Inc. was founded in 1979, under the name 'Ballard Research Inc.', to conduct research and development on high-energy lithium batteries. In the course of investigating environmentally clean energy systems with commercial potential, the Company began developing fuel cells in 1983. Over time Ballard entered into a number of strategic alliances related to fuel cell R&D, including an alliance with Daimler AG and Ford Motor Company. The company undertook a major corporate transformation from 2007 to 2009. Strategic focus shifted from long-term, high cost automotive fuel cell R&D technology development to clean energy fuel cell products for near-term commercial markets.
At the heart of each Ballard PEM (proton exchange membrane) fuel cell product lies a stack of unit cells based on our proprietary technology, for unsurpassed performance, durability and versatility. Ballard fuel cells can power a light bulb, a bus or even a city.
Ballard draws on intellectual property from together with unmatched years of 'know-how' in key areas:
- Fuel cell stack operation
- System integration
- Fuel processing
The fundamental knowledge enables optimization of fuel cell designs across a wide range of applications. In short, our fuel cell products deliver the required functionality at the right scale and lowest cost.