Fortis energy companies in British Columbia provide electricity, natural gas, piped propane and alternative energy solutions. Delivering more energy than any other utility in the province - approximately 21 per cent of the total energy consumed in BC - the companies serve more than 1.1 million customers in 135 communities. We are dedicated to fulfilling customers’ energy needs and helping the province meet its environmental and energy goals for the future.
Find locations served, office locations
- Business Type:
- Service provider
- Industry Type:
- Market Focus:
- Nationally (across the country)
This company also provides solutions for other industrial applications.
Please, visit the following links for more info:
At FortisBC, we touch the lives of our customers every day, providing the energy needed for their homes, schools and businesses. From electricity, natural gas and propane, to integrated energy solutions such as geothermal and district energy, we deliver energy safely and reliably, at the lowest reasonable cost.
Serving approximately 1.1 million customers in more than 135 communities, we deliver more energy than any other utility in British Columbia, approximately 22% of the total energy consumed. We do so with 2,300 employees all focused on quality service and customer satisfaction.
As an integrated energy solutions provider, FortisBC owns and operates four regulated hydroelectric generating plants, approximately 7,000 kilometres of transmission and distribution power lines and approximately 47,000 kilometres of natural gas transmission and distribution pipelines.
FortisBC Inc., FortisBC Energy Inc., FortisBC Energy (Vancouver Island) Inc., and FortisBC Energy (Whistler) Inc., all do business as FortisBC. We are indirectly wholly owned by Fortis Inc., the largest investor-owned distribution utility in Canada that, through its subsidiaries, serves more than two million gas and electricity customers.
At FortisBC, we are dedicated to energizing British Columbia today and for the future.
The back story
In 2004, Fortis Inc., the largest investor-owned distribution utility in Canada, acquired all the distribution, transmission and generation assets of the West Kootenay Power and Light Company and renamed it FortisBC Inc. In 2007, Fortis Inc. purchased Terasen Inc., which included the Terasen Gas group of companies, from Houston-based Kinder Morgan Inc.
In July 2010, Terasen Inc. and FortisBC Inc. started sharing the same leadership team. Then, on March 1, 2011, the Terasen group of companies began operating under the FortisBC brand name. Today, the natural gas and electricity businesses continue to operate as before, as separate legal entities, while sharing the name FortisBC.
We take our commitments seriously.
- FortisBC has both responsibilities and opportunities when it comes to issues concerning: health and safety; the environment; our communities; and Aboriginal relations in our service areas.
- We believe it's important to participate in the growth of the cities and towns we serve. We work hard to demonstrate this through the work we do every day.
- From the Lower Mainland to the Okanagan and the Kootenays, and as far afield as Fort Nelson, FortisBC is proud to be a part of your community.
- Learn more about our gas utility’s and electricity utility’s commitments as well as our involvement in Aboriginal relations, community relations, and the REnEW Program.