ORTECH is a consulting company and does not represent any single solution provider or any one type of storage technology. ORTECH has experience with a wide range of storage technologies and understands and appreciates that each technology has its own characteristics and potential uses. As energy storage currently has low visibility and is not widely understood, ORTECH feels that there are great opportunities for consulting and engineering companies to help match solution providers with applications and potential users.
With the current energy mix, there is an obvious need for Energy Storage solutions and policies in Ontario. With the Ontario Long-Term Energy Plan, Ontario Power Authority, Independent Electricity System Operators all eluding to a need for Energy Storage solutions in Ontario; ORTECH is at the forefront of this market. ORTECH can provide the following services to assist both developers and investors alike;
Services may include:
- Market Assessment: What is the state of the Ontario electricity market and how would a major energy storage facility fit into the current long-term provincial power plan?
- Site Selection: Where would the project be located? Are the sites suitable? Transmission Connection: What are the transmission constraints and where would the project connect to the grid?
- Permitting Risk Assessment: Review the regulations and determine any issues that would stop the development process or issues that cannot be overcome. What is the basic permitting requirements and process both for surface and subsurface facilities?
- Financial Analysis: ORTECH will create a preliminary financial model based on current market prices, indicative capital costs and market variables. This analysis will determine the amount of revenue that is required to make an air storage project feasible.
- Power Purchase Agreement/Government Policy: Is there a likelihood of a contract? What is the current policy?
- Other Services Related to Energy Storage: Strategic Planning, Vendor and Technology Assessments, Financial Model Development, and Project Management.