Alstom’s great experience as integrator, designer and manufacturer makes it a renowned expert in rail modernisation adapted to all phases of the asset’s life cycle.
Life time extension for trains
Although a fleet’s length of life is generally more than thirty years, trains in mid-life often have to be renovated to meet changing customer expectations, new regulations, sustainability policy or tackle rises in operating and maintenance costs as trains get older.
For example, the modernisation of the Mexico metro’s traction system increased its reliability and availability twenty times and reduced energy consumption by over 40%.
Thanks to its comprehensive knowledge of the rail industry, Alstom also offers modernisation solutions dedicated to infrastructures or signalling.
Modernisation: a tailored offer
- Optimisation of energy consumption: based on energy consumption analysis (Alstom’s e-mapping), Alstom proposes energy optimisations related to traction and non-traction components. Driver advisory systems, LED lighting, intelligent control of HVAC and other solutions maximise performance and savings.
- Traction: modernisation with a large choice of configurations: DC-DC (direct current), DC-AC (direct current – alternative current), or AC-AC (alternative current)
- Bogies: modernisation of the entire bogie or components
- Train control: replacement or installation of systems
- Signalling: modernisation or installation of trainborne solutions (ERTMS, CBTC, conventional signalling systems)
- Passenger experience: modernisation of the design and interiors as well as the rail information system
- Accessibility: compliance upgrades regarding access, interiors and passenger information systems (audio, video)
- Diesel and hybrid: modernisation or conversion of diesel locomotives into hybrid locomotives (diesel and battery traction)