Geothermal Resource Group, Inc. offers a course in Geothermal Well Design and Drilling. The course is approved by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) and the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) and is available through the Registered Continuing Education Programs for Engineers (RCEP) website.
The course covers all aspects of designing, programming, drilling and completing high-temperature, utility-grade geothermal wells for power production, with emphasis on how it differs from typical oil and gas wells. The course is both scalable and flexible in content and contains both technical instruction and practical information. Among the specific topics covered are:
- Well and Casing Design for Production, Injection and Exploration Wells
- Cementing of Casing Strings including Foam and Reverse Cementing
- Program Planning and Rig Selection
- Drilling Fluids and Lost Circulation Issues
- Types of Formations Penetrated
- Use of Special Downhole Tools
- Fishing Tools and Techniques
- BOPE and Well Control
- Testing and Completion
The course is intended primarily for drilling engineers, drilling managers, geoscientists, reservoir and production engineers, and regulatory agency personnel. The course can be structured to benefit managerial, logistical and production staff as well. GRGI is also able to deliver focused training modules on any of the above topics upon request.