Research is the lifeblood of the SMU Geothermal Laboratory. For over 40 years it has provided a rich foundation for the educational experience offered to undergraduates and graduate students alike. The main research focus of the SMU Geothermal Lab is exploration and assessment of existing and potential geothermal resources.
Areas of expertise include:
- Identification, Assessment and Mapping of Geothermal Resources
- Development, Expansion and Maintenance of Thermal Databases
- Mapping of Geophysical Data
- Modeling of Hydrothermal Systems, Oil & Gas Fields and Unconventional Geothermal Resources
- On-site Borehole Temperature-Depth Logging
- Measurement and Analysis of Rock Sample Thermal Conductivity
The SMU Geothermal Lab has been the recipient of approximately $10 million in research grants from a variety of sources, including the Department of Energy, the National Science Foundation, the Texas State Energy Conservation Office, Google.org and private industry.